Sunday, November 1, 2009

Les glaneurs et la glaneuse



I recently watched the documentary film Les glaneurs et la glaneuse- "The Geaners and I" by Agnes Varda. The film looks at the practice of gleaning (collecting food left behind after a harvest) in rural France. I enjoyed the perspective offered though this film, which sheds light on unique way of life and community made possible by the production of mass amounts of food waste. Traditional gleaning is also compared to more modern practices of scavenging such as "dumpster diving".
Here is a link to a clip of the first 4.5 minutes of The Gleaners and I. I really like the last part of it which has a rap song about gleaning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKgjjEJvMbM

Here are some folks from Brooklyn who have created community around recycled food.




What is a Freegan?

"Freegans are people who employ alternative strategies for living based on limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources. Freegans embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed."- freegan.info/






No comments:

Post a Comment