Friday, November 6, 2009

Assertiveness and social work

This week in class we discussed the concept of "using self in community practice" from our text. In chapter 8, Hardcastle and Powers emphasize the use of assertiveness as a tool in community social work. I found this week's readings and discussion to be very eye-opening, as I was forced to reflect on my own use of assertion (or lack thereof) and ways in which I might be able to develop my assertiveness skills. Admittedly, when faced with situations in which I fear confrontation or other uncomfortable interactions, I usually act ‘passive’ or ‘non-assertive’. I came across this assertiveness test on my classmate, Rachel’s blog (http://rachmicaela.blogspot.com/) and decided to take it just for fun…. http://www.queendom.com/tests/access_page/index.htm?idRegTest=675 . Although I had expected my score to be low, it was still difficult to go through the process of the test and see the low results. While I realize that this brief internet test is not a very accurate measure of assertiveness, mainly because it asks a set of questions based on a specific standard of the concept of assertiveness without really taking into account variables, including cultural, gender and community norms (as discussed in the text), it was an interesting way of analyzing nonassertive/assertive/aggressive behaviors.

Feeling somewhat discouraged after class this week, I revisited the text and found some encouraging ideas. I was especially drawn to the section on “Assertiveness and Being” from Shoma Morita’s Zen Buddhist perspective.

· Know your purpose: Know what you want to accomplish, as (perhaps) distinct from what others want you to accomplish or what you want others to believe.

· Accept your feelings: Accept being angry, scared, and so on but recognize that while you are not responsible for feelings, you are responsible for how you manage them and your behavior.

· Do what needs to be done: Put your energy into developing and using the skills needed to deal with a situation, not avoiding or being anxious over it. Actively choose the strategy for managing the situation (Morita, as cited in Clifton & Dahms, 1993, pp. 164-165)

The more I reflect on the idea of assertiveness, I realize that although I am sometimes more passive/nonassertive in my reaction to certain situations, I can also think of many instances when I have been able to overcome my fears in order to assert my needs and the needs of those I work with. Kelly (1979) defines assertion as the “act of standing up for one’s own basic human rights without violating the basic human rights of others”. As an advocate for the rights of both human and nonhuman animals, I have found that I have been able to overcome my feelings of fear and discomfort with taking assertive actions when I see injustice towards others. As a social worker, I believe in empowering practice- helping those I work with find their own voice, while advocating alongside/behind them rather than on their behalf. That said, I feel it is sometimes necessary to speak assertively on behalf of voiceless nonhuman animals who suffer. In my mind, I have expanded this definition to read “assertion is the act of standing up for basic rights without violating the basic rights of others.” I think that this definition could be further expanded to include the 'basic rights' of the earth/environment as well.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura,

    I enjoyed your entry. It is right on and I appreciate your incorporation of the readings.

    Professor Yellow Bird

    ReplyDelete